The main objective of SUREWAVE is to develop and test an innovative concept of a Floating Photo-Voltaic (FPV) system consisting of an external floating breakwater structure made of new circular materials acting as protection against severe wave loads on the FPV structure itself, allowing increased operational availability and energy output.
Such a concept is able to operate in all the European sea basins including open-sea very harsh environments with high wind (speed >25 m/s), current (>1.2 m/s), and wave (height >14 m), thus unlocking the massive deployment of Offshore FPV at European and worldwide level.
Technical objectives to address the most relevant technical challenges for the implementation of the SUREWAVE offshore FPV solution:
- 1-Novel floating PV design for offshore extreme conditions.
- 2-New circular concrete materials developement
- 3-Predictive computational modelling & simulation framework development combining
- 4-Advanced testing and validation framework for offshore FPV technologies with a double purpose
Non-technical objectives to ensure a feasible, sustainable and highly-replicable deployment of the offshore FPV solution into the real offshore energy world. SUREWAVE will consider the following aspects:
- 5-Societal benefits maximization
- 6-Environmental impact minimization
- 7-High economic impact
- 8-High exploitability